Three cheers for beers on the podcast! Tune in to the latest Really, Truly Fit Podcast as Jim and Jess invite special guest, Joy Dubost (Registered Dietitian, Food Scientist, and beer connoisseur), on the air to discuss all things beer.
Fast Facts from the Podcast
- Beer is typically made up of water, malted grain, yeast and hops.
- Barley is the predominantly used grain to make beer.
- Beer is 93% water, essentially fat free, contains a range of carbohydrates depending on the malt that is chosen. Contains B Vitamins (niacin, folate, B6, B12), Calcium, Magnesium, and Silicon – which supports overall bone health.
- According to Dietary Guidelines – for those who chose to consume alcohol, it is recommended for 1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks per day for men.
- Beer is the preferred choice for moderation: 8 out of 10 beers are sold in bottles and cans which makes it really easy to track your alcohol/caloric intake versus other alcohols.
- Preliminary research shows that those who consume beer in moderation tend to exercise more regularly than those who abstain from drinking beer.
Beer not your alcohol of choice? Well then be sure to listen to A Healthy Buzz and listen to Jim and Jess buzz in on the latest tips on how to drink while staying really, truly fit.
Cheers for beers!
– – –
Joy Dubost, Ph.D., R.D., C.S.S.D. has more than 15 years of experience, working in the areas of clinical nutrition, research, public health intervention, education and communications. Dr. Dubost is the owner of Dubost Food & Nutrition Solutions, LLC, a consulting practice located in Washington DC that specializes in scientific advising, education and communications.