I have partnered with the Almond Board of California to help promote almonds. I have been compensated for my time commitment. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.
As a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, I see clients daily who have nutrition questions, and together we develop individualized plans to help them reach their health goals. During our appointments, we do an inventory on their strengths and areas of improvement.
One of the top areas of improvement that I typically flag for people is the need to snack more regularly. Most people know to eat the typical three meals a day of breakfast, lunch and dinner, but they rarely incorporate snacks. Smart snacks should be a staple in your daily life because they help to increase your energy, even out blood sugar levels, rev up your metabolism and keep your hunger at bay. They really help to bridge the gaps between your larger meals and prevent overeating (on both the good and the bad).
It’s important to me that the personalized nutrition plans I create for my clients are just that — personalized. Each meal plan is unique to the individual based on their current status, future goals and overall lifestyle. I think the same goes for the snacks, too.
I’ve partnered with the Almond Board of California to develop a Snack Time Generator. It’s a fun tool that helps to define your snacking personality and gives special tips and snacking equations based on your resulting personality type. This quiz will take you through a series of questions to help determine your profile . These personality types include:
- The Nurturer: Family or friends need a hand? You’re on speed dial. You do a lot for others and you do it well, but it leaves you with little time for yourself. These snack selections will help take care of you while you’re taking care of everyone else. Instead of skipping meals from a busy schedule, these snacks are easy to grab and go as you head out the door. Sliced Almonds & Yogurt Bowl is filled with protein to help with satiety while providing calcium and Vitamin D, both important for bone development –so you can help your lending hands be nice and strong. Banana Almond Butter Sushi provides potassium to help muscles move while you’re serving others, and almonds provide healthy heart benefits, so while you’re giving your heart to others, you’ll be taking care of your own, too.
- The Visionary: Your only constant is change. You are on the go and loving it, but it can be difficult to fit in those snacks. The snack varieties for the Visionary are easy to throw into a bag and be on your way while providing the energy needed for a long work day, plus vitamins and minerals to increase vitality. The Power Snacking Trio provides nutrients from three of the five major food groups, so you get nutrients and variety anywhere, anytime. The Graham Cracker & Almond Butter Sandwich is a classic snack option that provides glucose to help fuel your brain, assists with blood sugar control and keeps your energy balanced to help you bounce around to your next meeting.
- The Planner: Organization might as well be your middle name. Task lists and schedules are what dreams are made of. These snack options are a little bit sweet and just enough savory to give you the flavor and variety to break up a monotonous day of meetings and multi-tasking. Incorporating these snacks will fulfill your hunger and keep you focused and productive during your busy day. The Ants on a Log 2.0 is a convenient snack made in seconds so that you can focus on more important things, like checking off those to-do’s and the Choco-cocoNUT is that afternoon sweet treat that will leave you feeling satisfied.
- The Adventurer: Running, climbing, swimming, lifting — -whatever it is, you’re into it and on the move. Nothing says adventurer like a handful of this Sweet and Savory Trail Mix providing a balance of carbohydrates and heart healthy nutrients to fuel your way through the day. The Fruit, Almonds & Cottage Cheese Bowl provides protein, calcium and Vitamin D for strong bones to take on your next adventure.
- The Socialite: As the social butterfly, you find yourself engulfed in conversation and barely have time to eat. These snacks will give you something to talk about and keep you feeling full for a night out on the town. The Triple Berry & Almond Milk Smoothie is filled with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to help build up your immunity.. The Almond Butter Banana Roll-up has fiber to help keep hunger levels at bay and carbohydrates to give you the energy you need to keep the party going all night.
So what are you waiting for? Take the quiz and try out the Snack Time Generator to see what type of snacks work best for you! Comment below and let me know your snacking profile.