Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired? American adults average 3-4 colds and sicknesses per year! But can you prevent it? Today’s Really, Truly Fit podcast has us discussing how to prevent the common cold and flu, how to decrease the severity if you got it and how to quickly recover. You can listen to the full show below to get all of the tips but I’ve listed out a few key points.
Cold & Flu Prevention – foods that can help to prevent cold and flu.
1. Sweet potatoes. Say what?! Yep. Sweet potatoes are a great source of Vitamin A, which plays a key role in maintaining the health of your mucosal surfaces, like your skin! Your skin actually helps to keep infections from entering your body.
2. Tumeric. Studies have shown that those who consume tumeric are less likely to get colds, coughs and congestion.
3. Wild Salmon. As the daylight quickly fades, so does your Vitamin D storage. Salmon is rich in Vitamin D which is critical for fending off colds and the flu.
4. Ginger. It has been said that ginger is helpful in increasing sweat production, which may help us get rid of germs and toxins.
5. Tea. Green or black tea with lemon and honey, to be exact. breathing in the tea stimulates the cilia in the nose which helps to move germs out of the nose. Lemon helps to thin the mucus and honey has antibacterial properties. It’s a win all around.
6. Protein-rich foods. Like fish, yogurt and eggs. Low protein diets can lower your immune system.
But what if you eat these foods on a regular basis and still end up getting sick? Don’t fret, listen to our tips on the podcast! We’ll walk through ways to reduce the severity of your cold and flu and how to speed up the process to get you back to living that really, truly fit lifestyle.