Sweet Potato Kale Hash
NUTRITION 419 Calories | 23 g Fat | 44 g Carbs | 9 g Protein
- 8 slices of bacon, chopped
- 2 large (1 ½ lb) sweet potatoes peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 medium bunch of kale (4 cups)
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 4 fried eggs
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped bacon to pan and cook until crisp. Set aside on a plate.
- Add sweet potatoes and onions to pan. Add cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper to pan.
- Cover and cook, tossing occasionally until sweet potatoes have softened.
- Add kale and and cover. Cook until kale is wilted.
- Toss in cooked bacon and avocado.
- Serve with toast and fried egg.
Sweet potatoes are high in fiber and antioxidants which promotes a healthy gut and brain. They are also rich in beta carotene which supports good vision and a healthy immune system.
Chicken, Cranberry & Pear Spinach Salad
PREP TIME 15 minutes | COOKING 10 minutes | SERVES 1
NUTRITION 565 Calories | 35 g Fat | 37 g Carbs | 30 g Protein
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pear, sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp unsalted walnuts
- Mix olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper to make vinaigrette.
- Season sliced chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Heat olive oil in medium pan over medium-high heat. Once oil shimmers, add chicken to pan and cook until brown on each side, about 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add sliced pears, spinach, cranberries, walnuts, and cooked chicken and dress with vinaigrette.
Spinach contains magnesium, calcium, and vitamin K which are essential for healthy bones. Spinach is also a vegetarian source of iron!
Spinach, Feta & Tzatziki Turkey Burgers
PREP TIME 15 minutes | COOKING 30 minutes | SERVES 4
NUTRITION (1 burger) 376 Calories | 17 g Fat | 29 g Carbs | 30 g Protein
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp tzatziki
- 12 thin slices of cucumber
- 8 rings red onion
- In a medium mixing bowl combine spinach, turkey, feta, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Form into 4 inch patties.
- Heat pan on medium-high heat.
- Cook patties until cooked through and no pink is seen, about 4-6 minutes on each side.
- Assemble burgers with or without buns and top each with 1 tbsp of tzatziki, 3 cucumber slices and 2 rings of red onion.
Use a whole grain bun to make this delicious burger! Lean ground turkey makes the recipes lower in fat and higher in protein. Turkey is also a great source of magnesium and niacin.
Maple Cranberry Granola
PREP TIME 20 minutes | COOKING 45 minutes | SERVES 4
NUTRITION (¾ cup) 262 Calories | 8 g Fat | 40 g Carbs | 7 g Protein
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds dried and hulled
- ½ cup chopped, roasted, & salted almonds
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place the sunflower and pumpkin seeds on a parchment paper lined pan and roast for 8 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- In a medium pot on medium-low heat add syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, coconut sugar, & cranberry juice. Heat and stir constantly until sugar is completely dissolved then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, & sea salt. Mix with a spoon (or with your hands) until combined.
- Place mixture back onto the parchment lined baking sheet and spread out.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then stir in cranberries.
- Return to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove when slightly sticky still, it will crisp up as it cools.
Sunflower seeds contain healthy fats that contribute to heart health and have been found to offer anti-inflammatory effects.